I enjoyed the session yesterday; I was also pleased that I was able to remember some of the topics that I had covered in my first year. I was a bit worried that I would not have understood the information in on a deep level and forgotten what I learnt; it just goes to show how effective a good teacher can be. Deep learning could be characterised as fully functional awareness and understanding with the ability to apply knowledge to new situations. Surface learning is seen to be the passive accumulation of facts and figures. This can also be described as rote learning where information is simply memorised to be reproduced during assessment. ‘We can help our students to be deep learners by designing active learning experiences and placing less emphasis on detailed, passive note taking. Deep learning is encouraged by engaging and applying learning to problem- based situations, encouraging discussion and structuring reflection’ (Reece and Walker, 2007: 79). So within modern education it seems be agreed that educators should be developing ‘deep’ learning with their learners, as opposed to ‘surface’ learning.
References
Reece, I. and Walker, S. (2007) Teaching, Training and Learning; A Practical Guide, 6th edition, Tyne and Wear: Business Education Publishers Ltd.
No comments:
Post a Comment