I had a good day with the students on Friday. They have to complete a Proposal Proforma for their Final Major Project (FMP) which constitutes Unit 7 of the course. I felt that I was really able to assist the students with this as I helped them to clarify and refine their ideas. I was also able to help them express these in written form and making sure spelling and grammar was accurate. I was able to pull together my experience as a designer and a learning support tutor so I felt confident that the feedback I gave the students was accurate and appropriate.
The approach the tutors have taken with regards to learning outcomes, unit criteria and grading has been good so helped with the process. From the moment the FMP was presented to the students the criteria, learning outcomes and grading descriptors were printed out and made available to the students. This is consistent with the approach that has been taken throughout the course on project work. The students have always been told what is expected from them. In this way the students have time to assimilate the language and plan their approach; whether all the students take advantage of this is another question.
Doesn't it feel good to have a good day with the students Louise? I know exactly how you feel and hopefully they will take advantage of the direction and feedback. Students need to take more resposibility for their own active learning processes. Incidentally, I wonder if they felt they had a good day with the tutor?
ReplyDeleteIt can sometimes be frustrating when students do not value the frameworks and support you put in place for them but Bethan is right at this level they do need to drive their own learning. At times the keen ones don't even wait they have so much access to information our role may need to flip to keep them focused on the relevant information. The successes with individuals however small can make it seem all worth while.
ReplyDelete