In carrying out
research for the assignment I have been drawn to the work of Albert Bandura (1977)
who looked into observations during social interaction and how this influences
the cognitive processes. This is based
in the idea that ‘… most human behavior is learned observationally through
modeling: from observing others one forms an idea of how new behaviors are performed,
and on later occasions this coded information serves as a guide for action’
(Bandura, 1977: 22). I like this idea as
I feel it pulls together elements and influences from different learning theories.
I can see the
value of Behaviourist theories in terms of rewarding positive behaviours but
feel uncomfortable that human beings are seen as animals that can easily be
manipulated. I truly believe in the
Humanist theories that students should be seen as a whole and be put at the
centre of learning however I do think that at times learners do need some
structure and discipline. I can understand
the logical of Cognivist theories in how learners can actively make patterns
and their own sense of information however it doesn’t take account of the fact
that people have emotions and the impact this has on learning. Like other theories Bandura’s theory is not
perfect but it does take account of the fact that most learning is a social
process.
I don’t know if
you agree or disagree – tell me what you think.
Reference
Bandura, A.
(1977) Social Learning Theory, New York: General Learning Press.
No comments:
Post a Comment