Monday, 5 December 2011

A guide for adult readers

I was looking through some old documents and came across this.  I had to produce this for a presentation and I thought I would share it.  It doesn't contain anything mindblowing but I do follow it and I know it helps people who have reading difficulties.  I also believe that high quality teaching materials engage learners more effectively than materials that have been photocopied since 1998 - we've all seen them.

Hope it helps - here goes.

How to write clearly:
        A guide for adult readers

Difficulties with reading are often connected to the look of the text, rather than what is written.  Complicated layout and design just add to the problems those with reading difficulties experience.  This guide is intended to help you look out for these and apply equally to making reading easier for both dyslexics and non-dyslexics learners.




Sentence length and choice of words
  • Write in short simple sentences, rather than long sentences of explanations.
  • Try to call the reader 'you‘, imagine talking to them directly.
  • Write sentences with only one or two clauses.
  • Stop and think before you start writing, be clear what it is you want to say.
  • Use short words where possible.


Font style and size
  • Use fonts that are easy to read, such as Arial or Calibri.
  • Use a minimum point size of 12, but don’t choose too large a font size as this can look childish.
  • Don’t write words purely in CAPITAL letters, if you want to emphases an important part of the text use bold or boxing.

Paper choice and paper colour
  • Use coloured paper instead of white. Cream or pale colours provide a good alternative.
  • Use dark blue or dark grey font colour instead of black if you have to use white paper.
  • Paper should be thick enough to ensure that there is not a high degree of ‘shadowing’.
  • Use matt paper as glossy paper can produce glare.

Page layout
  • Limit lines to 60-70 characters, lines that are too long or short can put strain on the eyes.
  • Use line spacing between paragraphs to break up text.
  • Use wide margins and headings.
  • If you use columns ensure that they are not too close together as this can lead to reading over from one column to the next.

Grammar and punctuation
  • Use full stops after headings to make the voice pause and drop in tone.
  • Use semi-colons, commas or hyphens.
  • Use the active voice wherever possible, especially when giving instruction.
  • Number menu items to aid navigation.

1 comment:

  1. I like this students often miss the point and cannot see that the list above is actually good practice within a professional environment. I have experimented with actually showing them documents through screen capture videos to reinforce how the advice can be implemented - I now it is spoon feeding them a little but I find I only need to do it once for it to impact students work.

    ReplyDelete