Saturday, 18 February 2012

On 'PAR' ..........sorry about the bad joke

Not that I think anybody needs it, but I wanted to share a teaching model that really works for me when I am planning a session.  This is the PAR model (look on page 171 of Geoff Petty, 2009: Evidence-Based Teaching) where P stands for Present, A stands for Apply and R stands for Review.  This model also suggests that about 35% of the time should be spent on presenting information, about 60% of the time should be spent of applying knowledge in activities and tasks and about 5% of the time should be spent on reviewing the session.  I find it easier to use than Klob’s Learning Cycle (sorry Klob) as the terminology is easier to understand and therefore access.  When you plan a session you have so much to think about (making sure there are a range of teaching strategies, LLUK standards are incorporated, all learning styles are considered and different abilities are taken account of) that it is nice to have something easy to follow.

Hope it helps – let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this information Louise....really interesting. I will have to get Petty (2009) from the library as I have Petty (2003) at present.
    Interesting that as much as 60% of the time should be spent on applying knowledge and activities on tasks. Definitely worth a read.

    ReplyDelete