Student
centred learning is based in constructivist philosophies which emphasise the
idea that learning is a cognitive process. The idea behind this is learners use
schemas to make connections between their new and existing knowledge. ‘They need to be active in seeking new
information and need to be active in participating the teaching method’ (Recce
and Walker, 2007: 86)
On
a personal level I have found that student centred learning is effective. I also think that it shows respect to your
learners as you believe that they already have skills and knowledge which you
can build on and develop with them. This
was particularly important when working in my previous position on the
Foundation Learning Programme with learners who had significant barriers to
learning. I found that when I acted more
like a facilitator than a teacher.
“Facilitation
literally means ‘easing’. Its art is in
drawing out the wisdom already embedded and lying dormant in the psyche of the
learner. One belief of humanistic
education and pragmatic constructivism is that learning is a recovery of or a
remembering that which we already know” (Jarvis, 2006: 99).
Most
of the students on the programme had very negative images of themselves as
learners and as a result had low self-esteem.
When I was able to show them that they did have some knowledge and
understanding and could work by themselves their confidence grew. When they felt more confident their behaviour
improved and they were able to engage to a greater extent. I have described this simply to explain the
principle, the reality was this was hard work and took time, but it did work
with most students. Once the students
had engaged I used a range of teaching strategies and principles. There are times when you have to teach in a
more traditional manner and there are times when you have to teach in a
creative manner.
The
art of teaching effectively is knowing when to use a particular teaching style
and what theory to use. This takes a
long time to learn and I feel that I am at the start of the journey.
References
Jarvis,
P. ed., (2006) The Theory and Practice of
Teaching, 2nd edition, New York: Routledge.
O’ Neill, G. & McMahon, T.
(2005) Student centred learning: What
does it mean for students and lecturers?: Emerging issues in the practice of
university learning and teaching, Dublin: AISHE.
Reece,
I. and Walker, S. (2007) Teaching,
Training and Learning; A Practical Guide, 6th edition, Tyne and Wear:
Business Education Publishers Ltd.
I agree - I feel like the a world of possibilities have opened up. Being more aware of the variety of teaching approaches has helped me to focus and reflect on my current practice and how I can improve.
ReplyDeleteTo use a skiing metaphor - I have the basic techniques and I can access an entire mountain but my application is still a little ragged, and I will inevitably fall down (a lot early on) but intend to have fun improving.